"Live the life you've always imagined."

The events leading up to this splendid summer adventure began late one evening a few months ago while talking with a great friend.

Jenny: "What are you going to do after you graduate?"

Me: "I don't know."

Jenny: "What have you always wanted to do?"

Me: "Move to DC!"

Jenny: "Then why not go spend the summer in DC?"

This is just one example of why my life is full and rich--because of the brilliant and inspiring people who I'm so blessed to know!

The evening before my mom and I left for our road trip back east, this same friend came over and gave me a very fitting gift: a plaque that reads, "Live the life you've always imagined." So here's to a summer living the life I've always imagined since I was bitten by the "DC" bug as a visiting student at American University in the spring of 2001.

So what does this life I've always imagined look like? Well, here are just a few snippets. I hope that this summer you, too, will live the life you've always imagined and record the insights, impressions, and blessings you receive along the way.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 2: Tales of cattails and electric powered devices

Highlights of week 2 in "northern Virginia" (see, I'm already noticing the nuances in how groups of people in the greater DC area distinguish themselves geographically):

Mon., June 14th:
Downgraded from robocop boot to my smaller (less noticeable) aircast. I must say that parting from robocop boot was a little sad... It was a great conversation starter. And it also masked the fact that my left calf is now only 2/3 the size of my right calf. Seriously.

Tues., June 15th:
Mowed our yard with an electric mower. For all my Texas gas and oil loving friends, an electric mower is a lawn mower with a plug. You read that right. A lawnmower with a plug. I thought my roommate was kidding when she told me the lawnmower plugs in. You actually plug it into 15 extension cords (because that's how many are required in order for the mower to reach and make it across your lawn) and it's powered by your ordinary outlet. CRAZY! I didn't know such a thing existed. Being the very well trained lawn mower-er that I am (thanks Dad), I checked everywhere for the oil dipstick. Not to be found anywhere. It's truly an electric lawnmower. My mowing mantra: "Don't run over the cord! Don't run over the cord! DON'T RUN OVER THE CORD!" Success in mowing! Wish I could say the same for trying to edge. The edger is also electric. Let's just say that I'm surprised I didn't kill the bird that was following behind me and eating the worms and grubs that were exposed after I mowed the jungle...I mean our lawn. :) My foot, however, didn't escape unscathed. It had a rather painful run-in with Mr. Electric Edger.













A link to my thesis was sent across THE listserv for language policy gurus and applied linguists. SO EXCITING!

Wed., June 16th: Experienced what it happens when a 5 lane highway lovingly referred to as the "Beltway" by folks who live both inside and outside the "beltway" suddenly becomes a ONE lane highway within a matter of 1,000 feet. Ok, so maybe more like 2,000 feet. I always hoped to know what that would be like. Now I do. :)

Thurs., June 17th: While my ankle and foot have taken their fair share of twists, turns, and beatings this summer, they also were introduced to Nordstrom Rack and slipped into size 13 and 14 shoes!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I came across rows of size 12, 13, and 14 shoes. I also felt very grateful that my feet stopped growing when they hit size 12. I feel for women who wear size 13 and 14 shoes. Pobrecitas!













I also had dinner with my cousin Hanna, Aunt Adrian, and Uncle Joe. My aunt grilled the BEST steaks I have ever eaten in my entire life. Hands down. No offense to everyone else who has ever cooked delicious steaks, but seriously--it was perfect! My aunt and Hanna both introduced me to Central Market east coast style: Wegman's. When I got back to my car, a lady bug was waiting to greet me. :)













Fri., June 18th:

Back to Rosslyn park. It was another perfectly perfect evening! 2 hours sitting on the grass enjoying the beautiful park. Then 90 min. of Mrs. Doubtfire. Good times!











Sat., June 19th:
Much anticipated stroll (and even a few jogging steps) along the Potomac. Picturesque. Heidi, one of two of my awesome roommates, came with me. I think if I said, "It's SO BEAUTIFUL HERE!" one more time, she would have taped her ears shut. :) Who knew that cattail leaves are smooth? Probably a 5th grader. Which proves I'm NOT smarter than a 5th grader. I was so ready to find the closest marina and beg someone to let me join them on their sailboat.













Sun., June 20th: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

It's Father's Day and I readily admit I felt a twinge of homesickness. It hit me earlier this week that for the first time in 6 years I won't be home on Father's Day. That's the saddest part about this summer: not being home for special days like today. I'm grateful, though, for technology that allows us to keep in touch. I wish the picture of my dad and me was from today, but it's from a few years back. One of my favorite pictures of all times!










Enjoyed breakfast with my two roommates and our landlord who was in town for the weekend. Thanks to Carrie (the landlord) for organizing the breakfast. Given that it was a Sunday morning and none of us were presentable to the public, I took a picture of the feast. Yes. A true sign of friendship (and civility). Tammy made some killer oatmeal banana pancakes. YUMMY!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    Why haven't you updated the blog? :) The fans are anxious to see your life out there!

    ReplyDelete